Faculty of Social Sciences
Our vision is for a better society, one that empowers people – particularly those in the community who are most vulnerable – to live meaningful, healthy, secure and sustainable lives. Our vision promotes positive social change at every level.
The Faculty of Social Sciences is a social catalyst. We bring about change through high quality and high impact research and teaching, facilitating public debate on major social issues and through deep engagement with our communities. We empower individuals with the knowledge and skills to make positive personal choices in daily life; we influence structures, systems and institutions that impact on how people lead their lives and empower communities through social change.
In our Faculty:
- Each person has a right to be heard, treated with courtesy, respect, honesty and professionalism
- We act in a manner that is ethical, transparent and consistent
- We trust each other
- We are interdependent
- We value the roles we perform and the contributions we make.
- We accept and value individual differences
- The pursuit of our vision and mission requires integrity, leadership and rigorous social and scientific enquiry.
Our Faculty is committed to its staff, students and the communities it serves. To achieve this we endeavour to:
- Provide a safe, diverse and supportive work and learning environment.
- Help staff achieve their professional goals
- Help staff achieve a work life balance
- Be a community that collaborates to achieve shared goals
- Invest time and knowledge to help and support each other.
- Demonstrate leadership, show inspiration and respond to new challenges
- Be generous with each other sharing burdens, challenges and successes.
- Take care of each other.
As educators we will provide:
- A stimulating and engaged learning environment that encourages critical thinking, high level skills development and the practical application of ideas in a culture that promotes originality and honesty
As members of a Social Science community we aim to:
- Create connections that empower individuals and communities through the study of social, psychological and anthropological enquiry.
- Advance social science disciplines, professional practice, participating in activities that support the peer review system and the advancement of understanding, both basic and applied
- Work in partnership with government, non-government, social and health care agencies, not for profit sector and other industry to achieve social impact
- Ensure accountability for all funding awarded to us
Living Our Values
Fairness & Equity
The pursuit of fairness and equity is reflected in everything we do. It is embodied in our procedures and practices through consultation and the consistent application of rules and criteria for decision making.
At an individual level we strive to provide everyone with the opportunity and support they need to achieve their goals. We acknowledge that individuals have different backgrounds, needs and goals and we respect and support that diversity.
We are open and honest. We place trust in our supervisors and leaders to ensure that consultation is a regular activity of decision making on a broad scale and that decisions are communicated in a way that promotes understanding. We expect honesty in our systems and challenge, change and create new ways of working where there is difference or disagreement.
We collectively foster a positive work culture in which we enjoy our work. We help create and benefit from a vibrant workplace and positive professional relationships. We treasure moments that facilitate joy and satisfaction. We care for ourselves and each other.
Ethics and Professionalism
The way we live our work lives and conduct ourselves as members of the Faculty of Social Sciences is governed by the University’s code of conduct and is guided by the norms of professional, ethical and academic behaviour. We strive to exhibit the highest levels of integrity and quality in what we do. We are committed to supporting our Faculty achieve its vision and fulfil its mission.
We strive for excellence in all our professional activities. Where appropriate we compare, contrast, challenge, evaluate and alter what we do in order to advance the quality and impact of our work. We are committed to professional development and mentorship. We look for innovative ways to improve the quality of our work. We share knowledge and experience to improve the quality of everything we do. Others, both nationally and internationally, look to us as leaders in our field.
As a result of living these values we will feel respected, valued and appreciated