Social Sciences News and Events
The Faculty of Social Sciences brings together the Schools of Education, Psychology, Health and Society, and Geography and Sustainable Communities. We’re focused on embracing the challenges and initiatives set out in the University’s Strategic Plan. This plan aims to place UOW in the top 1% of universities worldwide.
Workshop: Social emotional learning, anxiety, behaviour and the autism spectrum - 14 April 2018
This workshop will help you to gain an understanding of social emotional world of individuals on the autism spectrum, and the factors that lead these individuals to exhibit behaviours that may be viewed by the neurotypical world as “challenging”. In particular, we will examine the link between environment, anxiety and behaviour and will identify ways in which teachers, parents, and service providers can work with individuals on the autism spectrum to unpack problematic behaviours and to proactively create environments and strategies that support and enable them to develop the skills to reduce their anxiety and to manage and achieve in different neurotypical environments.
Participants will gain knowledge and skills in autism practice including:
- Identifying and understanding symptoms of anxiety in individuals on the autism spectrum
- Proactively creating environments to reduce anxiety and promote social emotional learning
- Examining and unpacking “challenging” behaviours
- Implementing strategies to enable children and adults on the autism spectrum to manage anxiety and to cope with the demands of different environments.
- Support children and adults on the autism spectrum to self-regulate and self-advocate for needed supports.
Registrations Close: 12 April 2018