Associate Professor in Social Work Shoalhaven Campus
B Soc Stud (Hons) Syd MSc Surrey PhD Flinders
PHONE: +61 2 4429 1517
Peter worked as a practitioner in Tasmania, England and the Northern Territory in social security, mental health and rehabilitation prior to commencing an academic career. He has worked in social work education since 1986. He worked at the University of South Australia, James Cook University and Australian Catholic University. Peter was at ACU from 1998 to February 2015 where held senior executive roles including being Rector/Dean of the Canberra Campus and Head of the School of Social Work.
While living in Canberra Peter was the Chair of the ACT Children’s and Young Persons Council and Chair of the ACT Higher Education Committee. He was an auditor for the Australian University Quality Agency and appointed as a member of register of experts for the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency. He has been an assessor for social work programs for the Australian Association of Social Workers and an international member for accreditation of social worker programs for the New Zealand Aotearoa Social Work Registration Board. Peter was appointed as an academic specialist for the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic & Vocational Qualifications. He was a part-time Member of the Social Security Appeals Tribunal and an assessor for the Australian Research Council.
Peter has been a consultant to the ACT Office of Children, Youth and Family Support on child protection and ACT Housing on supervision.
TEACHING AND COORDINATING
- SOWK239 Health, Aging and Disability
- SOWK240 Service Users and Carers
- Child protection
- Disaster Recovery
- Case management and service delivery
- Suicidal behaviour
- Gursansky, D., Kennedy, R., & Camilleri, P. (2012) The Practice of Case Management Allen & Unwin: Sydney.
- Camilleri, P., Thomson, L., & McArthur (2013) The Childrens Court in the Australian Capital Territory in Sheehan, R & Borowski, A. (Eds) Australia’s Children’s Courts Today and Tomorrow. Springer press: Heidelberg
- Thomson, L., McArthur, M., & Camilleri, P. (2015) ‘Is it fair?’ representation of children, young people and parents in adversarial system. Child and Family Social Work. Published online March 2015 DOI: 10.1111/cfs.12226
- Camilleri, P., Thomson, L. & McArthur, M. (2013) Needs or deeds? Child protection and Youth Justice in the Australian Capital Territory. Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law 35 (2): 193-206
- Nicholls, S., Sykes, J. & Camilleri, P. (2010) ‘The Role of the Media and Communication in Recovery from Natural Disasters: A Case Study of the Canberra ‘Firestorm’ and its aftermath 2003 – 2007’Australian Journal of Communication Vol 37 (3) p.33 - 50