Qualifications: Masters Science OHP, Certified Occupational Hygienist (COH), FAIOH
Phone: 02 4221 4619
I’m an occupational hygienist and for over 20 years I have been carrying out risk and exposure assessments for various workplaces including mining, construction, manufacturing, pharmaceutical, medical and agricultural industries. This has included field work, laboratory analysis and reporting.
My areas of expertise include analysis, evaluation and control of workplace hazards such as asbestos, dust, quartz, noise, pesticides, gases and vapours.
I completed the Masters of Science, Occupational Hygiene Practice here at Wollongong in 2012 and have a Certificate IV Training and Assessment (TAE40110) for adult learning.
I am a Certified Occupational Hygienist and Fellow of the Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists (AIOH).
Teaching and Coordination
After working as a sessional lecturer at UOW since 2009, I joined the Work Health and Safety Program academic team in 2015. The WHS program includes undergraduate and post graduate courses, and my role includes preparation of course materials and assessments, active teaching and marking, and course coordination for the occupational hygiene related subjects.
With extensive experience in teaching and facilitating learning in occupational hygiene and safety related subjects within Australia and internationally, I enjoy sharing my passion for occupational hygiene.
Other training courses I have presented/facilitated:
- AIOH: Basic Principles Course (5 day course, internationally accredited by the British Occupational Hygiene Society)
- Australian Department of Defence - Monitoring of Occupational Hygiene Hazards Course (5 day course)
- Specialised analyst training for asbestos identification analysis and asbestos fibre counting (to NATA requirements) in Australia and New Zealand
- Co-author and co-presenter of a 1 day AIOH seminar and continuing education session on respirable crystalline silica (RCS) which included topics on occurrence, health effects, exposure standards, risk and incidence of disease, sampling and analytical methods, control strategies and future issues for RCS.
- Industry specific and guest seminar presentations on asbestos, silica, dust and diesel particulate matter
Book Chapters and Other Publications
- AIOH Asbestos Position Paper: Key contributor/writer of the original 2008 paper, and author of updated 2016 version (AIOH position papers assist and influence industry and regulators with relevant information on specific subjects).
- Pickford G, Davies B, Apthorpe L, ‘Aerosols’, in S Reed (ed.), Principles of Occupational Health & Hygiene, Allen & Unwin, 2nd edition, 2013.
- Apthorpe, L, ‘OH&S Review of Use of Organic Heavy Liquids for Float/Sink Testing’, Australian Coal Association Research Program Report 2009.
- (Assisted with) Australian Standard 4964:2004 – Method for the qualitative identification of asbestos in bulk samples. Involved in 2016 update and re-writing of this Standard.
- Yeung P, Cantrell P, Murdoch C, Rogers A, Apthorpe L, Conaty G, Vickers C, ‘Predictive Exposure Modelling – Assessment of Respiratory and Dermal Exposures to Ethyl Parathion and Methyl Parathion in Airblast Applications in Orchards’, National Occupational Health and Safety Commission publication, August 1997.
- Apthorpe L and Yeung P, ‘The Current Assessment Methods of Dermal Exposure to Pesticides – A Brief Review’, Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists Newsletter, number 61, December 1996.
- Murdoch C, Foster G, Rogers A, Apthorpe L, Rabone S, Williamson A, Friswell R, Troup C, ‘Study of Exposures, Control Methodology and Some Health Effects in the Australian Paint Manufacturing Industry’, Worksafe Australia, Institute Report, March 1996.
- Alamango K, Whitelaw JL, Apthorpe L, ‘Have You Got Your Head in the Sand? Respirable Crystalline Silica Exposures of Restoration Stonemasons’, Proceedings of the Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists Annual Conference, Perth, December 2015 (3M Best Conference Paper Award).
- Apthorpe L, ‘Amateur Musicians: Are They At Risk of Noise Induced Hearing Loss?’, Proceedings of the Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists Annual Conference, Adelaide, December 2012.
- Apthorpe L, Alamango K, ‘Asbestos 101: A Beginners Guide to Asbestos Related Matters’, Proceedings of the Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists Annual Conference, Gold Coast, 2006.
- Pickford G, Apthorpe L, Alamango K, Conaty G, Rhyder G, ‘Remediation of Asbestos in Soils: A Ground Breaking Study’, Proceedings of the Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists Annual Conference, Adelaide, 2003 (3M Best Conference Paper Award).
- Apthorpe L, Foster G, Smith M, ‘Diazinon: A True Blue Dermal and Inhalation Exposure Study for Sheep Dip Workers’, Proceedings of the Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists Annual Conference, Canberra, 1998 (3M Best Conference Paper Award).
- Smith M, Apthorpe L, Foster G, ‘Occupational Health and Safety Issues with Shower Dipping”. Australian Veterinary Association Annual Conference Proceedings, Sydney, May 1998.
- Yeung, P, Cantrell, P, Murdoch, C, Rogers, A, Apthorpe, L, Vickers, C, Conaty, G. ‘Exposure of Air Blast Applicators to Ethyl Parathion and Methyl Parathion in Orchards: A Comparison of Australian Conditions to Overseas Predictive Exposure Models. Appl. Occup. Environ. Hyg. 13 (4): 242-251,1998 (‘Best Paper’ awarded by the Michigan Industrial Hygiene Society).
- Yeung P, Patience K, Apthorpe L, Willcocks D, ‘Exposure to Chrysotile in Automotive Service Industry’. Proceedings of the Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists Annual Conference, Albury, December 1997.
- Yeung P, Cantrell P, Murdoch C, Rogers A, Apthorpe L, Conaty G, Vickers C, ‘Predictive Exposure Modelling – Assessment of Respiratory and Dermal Exposures to Ethyl Parathion and Methyl Parathion in Airblast Applications in Orchards’. Proceedings of the Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists Annual Conference, Perth, December 1996.
- Foster G, Murdoch C, Apthorpe L, Mandryk J, ‘Sulphuric Acid Mist: Exposures, Controls and Respiratory Symptoms’, Proceedings of the Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists Annual Conference, Perth, December 1996 (3M Best Conference Paper Award).
- Rogers A, Yeung P, Berry G, Lee J, Gardiner I, Apthorpe L, ‘Silicosis and Lung Cancer - A Study of a Compensation Register in Australia’, Proceedings of the Inhaled Particles VIII Conference, 26-30 August 1996, BOHS Georgian House, Great Northern Rd. Derby, UK.
- Rogers A, Yeung P, Berry G, Conaty G, Apthorpe L, ‘Exposure and Respiratory Health of Workers in the Australian Refractory Ceramic Fibre Production Industry’. Proceedings of the Inhaled Particles VIII Conference, 26-30 August 1996, BOHS Georgian House,
- Great Northern Rd. Derby, UK.
- Active member of Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists:
- AIOH Certification Board Member
- AIOH Exposure Standards Committee Member
- AIOH Councillor (governing board) (2014-2016)
- Review panel/editor for Occupational Hygiene Training Association ‘Asbestos and Other Fibres’ (W504) course (currently under review and rewrite)
Professional Achievements and Miscellaneous
- AIOH Airmet Scientific Professional Development Award winner, 2009 (scholarship to attend American Industrial Hygiene Conference and specialised professional interest/research facilities)
- 3M ‘Best Paper’ Award at AIOH Annual Conference in 1996, 1998, 2003, 2015
- Michigan Industrial Hygiene Association ‘Best Paper’ Award, 1998
- 3 Minute Thesis winner, AIOH Conference 2011
- UOW 3M Award for OHS student with highest academic performance (2011)
- ‘Vote of Thanks’ speech at my 2012 UOW Graduation Ceremony
- Master of Ceremonies at 2012 and 2015 Annual AIOH Scientific Conference Gala Awards Dinner