DR SHAHNAZ BAKAND
Title/Role: Senior Lecturer
Work Health and Safety Program | School of Health and Society
Qualifications: BSc. (OccHealth), MSc. (OccHyg Eng.), PhD (Toxicology)
Phone: 02 4221 4794
Dr Shahnaz Bakand is a Senior lecturer of Work Health and Safety Program in the School of Health and Society at the University of Wollongong (UOW). She worked as an experienced academic member and multidisciplinary researcher of the university in Iran and Australia for more than 20 years.
She earned a Bachelor degree of Occupational Health and a Master of Occupational Hygiene Engineering in Iran. She completed her PhD at the University of New South Wales (UNSW) in 2006. Her PhD research was the development of in vitro toxicology methods for toxicity assessment of workplace air contaminants.
Dr Bakand awarded an Australian Museum Eureka Prize (2006) for her research in inhalation toxicology. Media press releases “Lungs in a dish” was showcased by ABC Science, Innovations - Radio Australia, The Science Show - ABC Radio National, Environmental Health Perspectives, USA (IF 7.03).
She worked as an academic member of Occupational Health Department at Iran University of Medical Sciences for many years. She has collaborated with Iran Nanosafety Network, adapting ISO standards for testing and safety evaluation of nanoparticles, and Iranian Ministry of Health to establish Occupational Exposure Limits, Biological Exposure Indices and Guideline of Hazardous Chemicals.
She has continued her research collaboration with UNSW as a postdoctoral fellow and academic visiting fellow expanding her research into nanotoxicology investigating the toxicity of nanoparticles and diesel exhaust emissions. Dr Bakand has recently been appointed as a reviewer of US National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health research proposals related to work health and safety of nanotechnology. She is also a Full Member of Australasian College of Toxicology and Risk Assessment (ACTRA).
Teaching and Coordinating
- Coordinated and contributed with web (Moodle) based subjects of WHS program at UOW using a flexible/ flipped classroom approach.
- Designed and lectured high quality subjects for both undergraduate and postgraduate students e.g., Work Health and Safety, Industrial Toxicology, Fundamentals of Air Sampling, Evaluation of Workplace Contaminants and Chemical Safety.
- Previously designed and lectured short courses and workshops for Occupational Hygiene Practitioners, Occupational Medicine Scholars, and Conference delegates of First Iran National Conference of Standard and Safety in Nanotechnology
- Occupational Toxicology, Inhalation Toxicology
- Nanotoxicology and Nanosafety
- Occupational Exposure Assessment, Biomarkers of Exposure
- Airborne Contaminants: gases/ vapours and particulates
- Chemical Safety and Risk Assessment
- Currently supervising a PhD student in the field of nanosafety research and Co-supervising a PhD research in the area of air pollution particulates and ultrafine particles.
Previously supervised and co-supervised several postgraduate students to completion including two PhD students at UNSW:
- Development of In Vitro Toxicity Test Methods for Safety Evaluation of Nanoparticles in Sunscreen Products (Finance Dechsakulthorn, 2011)
- In Vitro Systems and Modelling of Diesel Combustion Toxicology (Lucky Joeng, 2011)
Occupational exposure and risk assessment to toxic chemicals, e.g., organophosphate pesticides, volatile organic compounds and heavy metals using air and biological monitoring techniques, chemical safety and risk assessment and evaluation of air sampling and control techniques are other examples of her previous research supervision.
- Hayes, A. and Bakand, S. 2010. Inhalation Toxicology. In: Molecular, Clinical and Environmental Toxicology, Volume 2 Experientia Supplementa (EXS). Birkhäuser Publishing, Basel. BfR.
- Hayes, A., Bakand, S. and Winder, C. 2007. Novel In Vitro Exposure Techniques for Toxicity Testing and Biomonitoring of Airborne Contaminants" Eds. Marx. U and Sandig, V. In: Drug Testing In Vitro-Achievements and Trends in Cell Culture Techniques, Wiley-VCH, Berlin. 103-124.
- Bakand, S., Hayes, A. 2016. Toxicological considerations, toxicity assessment, and risk management of inhaled nanoparticles. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 17, 929; doi: 10.3390/ijms17060929.
- Farshad, A.A., Enferadi, M., Bakand, S., Jamshidi Orak, R., and Mirkazemi, R. 2016. Penicillin dust exposure and penicillin resistance among pharmaceutical workers in Tehran, Iran. International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health. DOI:10.1080/10773525.2016.1201238
- Joeng, L., Bakand, S., and Hayes, A. 2015. Diesel exhaust pollution: chemical monitoring and cytotoxicity assessment. AIMS Environmental Science 2: 3, 718- 736.
- Hayes, A., and Bakand, S. 2014. Toxicological perspectives of inhaled therapeutics and nanoparticles. Expert Opinion on Drug Metabolism and Toxicology. 10: 7, 933-947.
- Yarahmadi, R., Abbaszadeh Dizaji, R., Hossieni, A., Farshad, A.A., Bakand, S., Moradi, P., and Aligol, M. 2014. The prevalence of needle sticks injuries among health care workers at a hospital in Tehran. Iranian Journal of Health, Safety and Environment. 1: 1, 23- 29.
- Joeng, L., Hayes, A., and Bakand, S. 2013. Validation of the dynamic direct exposure method for toxicity testing of diesel exhaust in vitro. Toxicology. DOI: 10.1155/2013/139512.
- Moradi, Gh. R., Sadighzadeh, A., Yarahmadi, R., Bakand, S., Farshad, A. A., Rezaei, B., Musavi, S., Solhi. M. 2013. Investigating the collection efficiency of ULPA filters for the removal of nano-sized aerosols. Iran Occupational Health. 10: 2, 1-10.
- Farshad, A., Khabazi Oliaei, H., Mirkazemi, R., and Bakand, S. 2013. Risk Assessment of Benzene, Toluene, Ethylbenzene, and Xylenes (BTEX) in paint plants of two automotive industries in Iran using the COSHH guideline. European Scientific Journal. Special edition 3: 270- 276.
- Bakand, S., Hayes, A., and Dechsakulthorn, F. 2012. Nanoparticles; A review of particle toxicology following inhalation exposure. Inhalation Toxicology. 24: 2, 125-135.
- Bakand, S., Dehghani, Y., Gohari, MR., Mosadegh, MH., Mirmohammadi, SJ. 2012. Exposure assessment of Greenhouse workers with anti- Cholinesterase pesticides by biological monitoring. Iran Occupational Health, 9: 3, 1-10.
- Bakand S., Winder, C., and Hayes A. 2011. Cell viability and cytokine production of human alveolar epithelial cells following exposure to SO2. International Journal of Occupational Hygiene. 3:2, 63-69.
- Afifehzadeh- Kashani, H., Choobineh, A., Bakand, S., Gohari, M. R., Abbasrabar, H., Moshtaghi, P. 2011. Validity and reliability of Farsi version of Cornell Musculoskeletal Discomfort Questionnaire (CDMQ). Iran Occupational Health, 7: 4, 69- 75, 83.
- Bakand, S. and Hayes, A. 2010. Troubleshooting methods for toxicity testing of airborne chemicals in vitro. Journal of Pharmacological and Toxicological Methods 61, 76–85.
- Bakand, S., Hayes, A. and Winder, C. 2009. Development of in vitro methods for toxicity testing of workplace air contaminants. International Journal of Occupational Hygiene, 1: 1, 27- 34.
- Dechsakulthorn, F., Hayes, A. Bakand, S., Joeng L. and Winder, C. 2008. In vitro cytotoxicity of selected nanoparticles using human skin fibroblasts. Alternatives to Animal Testing and Experimentation, 14: Special issue, 397-400.
- Bakand, S., Hayes, A. and Winder, C. 2007. Comparative in vitro cytotoxicity assessment of selected gaseous compounds in human alveolar epithelial cells. Toxicology In Vitro, 21: 7, 1341-1347.
- Bakand, S., Hayes, A. and Winder, C. 2007. An integrated in vitro approach for toxicity testing of airborne contaminants. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, 70:1604-1612.
- Ghorbanli, M., Bakand, Z., Bakhshi Khaniki, G., and Bakand, S. 2007. Air pollution effects on the activity of antioxidant enzymes in Nerium Oleander and Robinia Pseudo Acacia plants in Tehran. Iranian Journal of Environmental Health Science & Engineering, 4: 162-157.
- Bakand, S. Winder, C. Khalil, C. and Hayes, A. 2006. An experimental in vitro model for dynamic direct exposure of human cells to airborne contaminants. Toxicology Letters. 165: 1, 1-10.
- Bakand, S. Winder, C., Khalil, C. and Hayes, A. 2006. A novel in vitro exposure technique for toxicity assessment of volatile organic compounds. Journal Environmental Monitoring. 8:1, 100-105.
- Bakand, S., Hayes, A., Winder, C., Khalil, C. and Markovic, B. 2005. In vitro cytotoxicity testing of airborne formaldehyde collected in serum-free culture media. Toxicology and Inhalation Health, 21: 1-8.
- Bakand, S., Winder, C., Khalil, C. and Hayes, A. 2005. Toxicity assessment of industrial chemicals and airborne contaminants: transition from in vivo to in vitro test methods: A review. Inhalation Toxicology 17:775-787
- Bakand, S., Hayes, A., and Joeng, L. 2016. Toxicological risk assessment of airborne contaminants using in vitro cell culture test systems. Cleaner Air, Better Health 2016 CAR (Centre for Air quality and health Research and evaluation) Symposium. 5th May, Sydney.
- Bakand, S. 2015. Nanotechnology, Nanotoxicology and Nanosafety, Why we need them all? Invited speaker at Australian Institute of Innovative Materials (AIIM), 18th September, UOW, Australia.
- Bakand, S. 2015. What do we need to know about Nanotechnology in the Workplace; The Potential Impacts & Risk Management Options. Invited speaker at: AGM HFESA, 25th June, Sydney.
- Bakand, S., Dehghani, Y., Mosadegh, M., and Gohari, M. 2013. Evaluation of Cholinesterase-enzyme activity in Greenhouse workers using electrometric method. The Abstract book of the 8th Congress of Occupational Health and Safety, 27- 29 April, Mazandaran, Iran.
- Bakand, S., Dechsakulthorn, F. and Hayes, A. 2012. Evaluation and comparison of cytotoxicity of ZnO and TiO2 nanoparticles in human cells. First National Conference of Standard and Safety in Nanotechnology. 24 May, Tehran, Iran.
- Ghazi Khansari, M., Bakand, S. and Jafarinejad, S. 2012. Safety and Health in Nanotechnology. First National Conference of Standard and Safety in Nanotechnology. 24 May, Tehran, Iran.
- Bakand, S., Dechsakulthorn, F. and Hayes, A. 2010. Nanotoxicology; Assessing the Potential Health Impacts of Nanomaterial Exposure. Abstract book of the 3rd IUMS Conference on Application of Nanotechnology in Medicine and Biomedical Sciences. 23-25 Feb, Tehran, Iran.
- Bakand, S., Hayes, A. and Winder, C. 2009. Risk Assessment of Workplace Contaminants using Novel In Vitro Toxicity Methods. Abstract book of the 1st National Congress on Health and Safety in Work Environment and 6th National Congress of Occupational Health, 28-30 April, Tehran, Iran.
- Bakand, S., Hayes, A. and Winder, C. 2008. Development of Novel In Vitro Toxicology Models for Risk Assessment of Atmospheric Pollutants. Program book of the SETAC World Congress, 3- 7 Aug, Sydney, Australia.
- Dechsakulthron, F.,Pattanamahakul, P., Bakand, S., Siong Koo, S. P., Joeng, L. Winder, C., Hayes, A. 2008. A comparison between normal- and nano sized zinc oxide and titanium dioxide: in vitro cytotoxicity assessment using human skin fibroblasts. Program book of the SETAC World Congress, 3- 7 Aug, Sydney, Australia.
- Dechsakulthron, F., Hayes, A., Bakand, S., Joeng, L. and Winder, C. 2007. In vitro cytotoxicity assessment of selected nanoparticles using human skin fibroblasts. Abstracts of the 6th World Congress on Alternatives & Animal Use in the Life Sciences- Review progress made toward the 3Rs. 21-25 Aug, Tokyo, Japan.
- Bakand, S. and Maleki, V. 2007. Occupational exposure limits and related uncertainty factors. Abstracts of the 16th International Conference on Safe Communities. 11-13 June, Tehran, Iran.
- Bakand, S., Hayes, A. and winder, C. 2007. Risk assessment of atmospheric pollutants using novel in vitro toxicology models. Abstracts of the 9th Iranian Congress of Toxicology. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 15-17 May, Shiraz, Iran.
- Bakand,S., Winder, C., and Hayes, A. 2006. Comparative in vitro cytotoxicity assessment of selected gaseous compounds using human lung cells. Abstract book of the 14th International Workshop on In Vitro Toxicology (INVITOX 2006). 2-5 Oct, Ostend, Belgium.
- Hayes, A., Bakand, S., Winder, C. 2006. Relacement of the use of animals in inhalational toxicology. Abstracts of the ANZCCART Conference on Responsibilities, the 4th R. Australian and New Zealand Council for the Care of Animals in Research and Teaching, Canberra, 3-5 September, p 32.
- Bakand,S., Hayes, A. and Winder, C. 2006. An integrated in vitro approach for toxicity testing of airborne contaminants. Symposium of Challenges in Environmental Toxicology in Australia. 13-14th July. Melbourne, Australia.
- Bakand, S., Winder, C., Khalil, C. and Hayes, A., 2005. Toxicity assessment of workplace air contaminants using a novel in vitro cell culture technique. The NSW SIA Safety Conference. 26-28 October, Sydney, Australia.
- Bakand, S., Winder, C., Khalil, C. and Hayes, A., 2005. Novel in vitro exposure techniques for toxicity testing and biomonitoring of airborne contaminants. The Fifth World Congress on Alternatives and Animal Use in the Life Sciences, 21-25 August, Berlin, Germany. Alternatives To Animal Experimentation (ALTEX), Vol. 22: Special Issue, 184.
- Bakand, S., Winder, C., Khalil, C. and Hayes, A., 2005. A novel in vitro exposure technique for toxicity assessment of volatile chemicals. The Fifth International Symposium on Modern Principles of Air Monitoring (including biomontitoring). June 12-16. Loen, Norway.
- Bakand, S., Winder, C., Khalil, C. and Hayes, A., 2005. Application of in vitro toxicology methods for toxicity assessment of workplace chemical contaminants. Proceedings of the 18th Asian Conference on Occupational and Environmental Health (ACOH). May 11-13. Wellington, New Zealand.
- Bakand, S., Winder, C., Khalil, C. and Hayes, A., 2004. Correlation of in vitro and published in vivo toxicity data for workplace chemical contaminants. The 2nd Australian Health and Medical Research (AHMR) Congress. November 21-26. Sydney.
- Bakand, S., Hayes, A., Winder, C. and Khalil, C., 2004. In vitro cytotoxicity of formaldehyde and glutaraldehyde mixtures in human cells. The 6th ICOH International Conference on Occupational Health for Health Care Workers and the 24th UOEH International Symposium. October 8-10, Fukuoka, Japan.
- Bakand, S., Winder, C and Hayes, A., 2004. In vitro toxicity testing of workplace air contaminants using a technique of direct exposure at the air/ liquid interface. The Australian Society for Medical Research, XIIIth NSW Scientific meeting programme & Abstracts. 7th June, Sydney, Australia.