Postgraduate Research Information
The School of Education sits within the Faculty of Social Sciences. Faculty policy documents and information pertinent to all research degrees in the School of Education can be found on the HDR Student Resources - Faculty of Social Sciences page.
The UOW Graduate Research School also provides assistance in relation to HDR student candidature matters including:
- Enrolment and re-enrolment
- Thesis submission
- Examination and information workshops
Further information, including key UOW policy documents and documentation, is available on the Information for Current HDR Students - Graduate Research School page.
The Head of Postgraduate Studies in the School of Education can also help you with higher degree research matters, including supervision, coursework pathways, complaints or grievances, Annual Progress Reports and thesis examinations.
Head of Postgraduate Studies (School of Education):
Dr Wendy Nielsen
Phone: (02) 4221 4569
School of Education Research Officer
Should any matter still not be resolved, you may contact the Associate Dean - Research. The ADR can assist with high-level enquiries at the request of the Head of Postgraduate Studies.
Associate Dean - Research:
Professor Noel Castree
Phone: (02) 4221 4921
Student Research Activity Funding Information
HDR funding will support students to conduct their own quality research, foster timely completion and enhance dissemination activity by School of Education HDR students. Below is information and links to guidelines and processes for accessing research funding in the School of Education.
- HDR Student Research Activity Funding Guidelines
- HDR Student Research Activity Fund Record Form (PDF - 61KB)
- International Overseas Conference Travel Award - Terms of Reference
- International Overseas Conference Travel Award - Application Form (PDF - 90KB)
Up to three awards per year, $2000 each:
- Available once per doctoral candidature
- Needs-based award, available within final two months of candidature
- Must not be over time on EFTSL
- Apply through Head of Postgraduate Studies.
Eligibility for All School-based HDR Funding Schemes
- Be enrolled as an HDR student at the time of application and reimbursement and not have applied for graduation
- Must have submitted all relevant ADR and candidature milestones in a timely manner and not be over time in EFTSL. Students on leave or extension are not eligible.
- Application should be made to the Head of Postgraduate Studies via the Research Officer.
The School of Education holds induction programs for new research students at least once a year. Since research students begin their work at different times during their year, however, it is the responsibility of supervisors to discuss the student’s and supervisors’ rights and responsibilities as detailed in the Code of Practice: Supervision. At the beginning of enrolment supervisors should also acquaint students with the Resources and Facilities provided by the School and the specific expectations of enrolment in a research degree in Education.