Master of Teaching

Master of Teaching – Future Students

About the Master of Teaching

The Master of Teaching is an approved teaching qualification to work as a primary or high school teacher in Australia.

Start your teaching career with a practical degree:

  • The first practical school experience starts in your first session of study.
  • Minimum 60 days practical experience in schools.
  • Practical activities on campus and online.
  • Specialist lecturers and teachers.

Learn how to:

  • Engage children with special needs.
  • Create inspiring lessons.
  • Manage a positive classroom.
  • Support children’s wellbeing

How to Apply

To apply for entry to the Master of Teaching you must hold a completed Bachelor degree, or are in the last year of study of a bachelors degree, that meets the requirements of the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) for teaching in primary or secondary schools.

Domestic Students

Note: The application process has changed. The eligibility and application process is now conducted by the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC).

If you have previously submitted an eligibility assessment to UOW, you will be required to submit your application with UAC (see link provided above).

Opening dates: 2018 applications, via UAC, open on 5 September 2017.

Please note: You cannot defer an offer to the Master of Teaching. If you want to delay your study until 2019, you will need to re-apply in 2018.

International Students

International students must apply directly to University of Wollongong for entry into the Master of Teaching Primary or Secondary via Future Students. Your undergraduate degree must meet the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) requirements and be deemed equivalent to an Australian Bachelor Degree.

In your application you must include the following documents:

  • Certified copies of your undergraduate transcript (transcript must be in English).
  • You must stipulate what method/s (Teaching Area) you are applying for based on the methods we offer.
  • Any other relevant documents to support your application.

Please note: You may be asked to provide further information about subjects you have studied in your undergraduate i.e. subject descriptions.

Master of Teaching offers cannot be deferred. If you want to delay your study until 2019, you will need to re-apply in 2018.

For further information on applying to the Master of Teaching please go to How to apply - International students.

Frequently Asked Questions

For information about the subjects you will study, times, costs and key dates, please see the UOW Course Finder.

How is the Master of Teaching taught?

Our blended delivery model includes face-to-face lecture, tutorial and workshop classes, and flexible online learning. Classes may be scheduled weekly or as block intensives. You will also have practical classroom experience in schools.

Can I study full time?

Yes, the Master of Teaching is offered full time across two years. Your final session includes a professional experience placement in August/September. After that, you may be able to apply for casual teaching work during school Term 4, depending on your accreditation status and your timetable.

Can I study part time?

Yes, we offer three-year reduced study load option which may allow you to combine your study with your work and family commitments. You will need to be available full time while on your professional experience placements.

How often will I need to be on campus?

Though your timetable will vary every year, you will have up to three contact (on campus) hours per week for each subject. You will need to be on campus for lectures and tutorials for each subject. Classes are scheduled between 8:30am and 8:30pm Monday to Friday. In many cases classes are scheduled after school hours. In general, you will need to put aside about 12 hours of study time per week for each subject.

Do you offer the program at campuses other than Wollongong?

Yes, the Master of Teaching is also offered at ShoalhavenSouthern HighlandsBega and Batemans Bay campuses. You can study full time or part time at any of these campuses.

What practical experiences will I have in the Master of Teaching?

The Master of Teaching includes a minimum of 60 days professional experience in schools.

Session Experience Duration
First session Professional Immersion Program 8-10 days
First session Professional Experience 15 days
Mid-program Professional Experience 15 days
Final session Professional Experience 25-28 days

In the Professional Immersion Program (PIP) you will attend a local school to observe teachers at work and become used to the school environment. The PIP begins in the third week of the program.

Information about the other Professional Experiences (PEX) is available on the PEX page.

Students also have the opportunity to go on an International Teaching Experience.

When will I be in schools?

The Professional Experience yearly planner (PDF) includes the dates for each school placement. The calendar is updated each year.

If I do the Master of Teaching, what kind of teacher will I be? What schools can I work in?

The Master of Teaching is accredited nationally so you will be a Graduate Teacher, able to teach in public schools across Australia. You can also teach in independent schools and Catholic schools. Additional study or accreditation requirements may be required for independent and Catholic schools.

What will I teach if I’m a primary school teacher?

The Master of Teaching (Primary) will qualify you to work as a primary school teacher (kindergarten to year 6). Primary teachers will teach all key learning areas: English, mathematics, science and technology, human society and its environment, creative and practical arts and personal development/health/physical education.

To assist you in meeting the NESA requirements for Primary School Teaching; the first thing to do is complete a bachelor degree in an area you are interested in. Primary teachers teach many different things, but they don’t need to be experts in all areas. Primary school teachers spend a lot of their day teaching English and maths, so you need to be comfortable with those areas. If your bachelor degree is flexible enough, think about taking an elective in each of those areas.

What will I teach if I’m a high school teacher?

The Master of Teaching (Secondary) will qualify you to work as a high school teacher (years 7 to 12), in a specialised area.

At UOW you can qualify in ONE of these high school areas:

  • Mathematics
  • Science *
  • Visual Arts
  • Music
  • English

OR in TWO of these areas:

  • Ancient or Modern History
  • Business Studies or Economics
  • Legal Studies
  • Society and Culture or Aboriginal Studies
  • Geography

* Science: Must meet requirements for 2 Science areas (Biology, Physics, Chemistry or Earth and Environmental Studies).

Please note: Secondary methods offered will be dependent on the number of applications.

High school teachers need in-depth knowledge in a specialty area, which you get by completing a bachelor degree. For example, if you want to be an English teacher you might have a Bachelor of Arts with subjects on literature, poetry, Shakespeare, media and communication throughout the three years of study. You must have applied subject content knowledge in either ONE double method or TWO single methods to meet the content knowledge requirements as set by NESA.

Visit Future Teachers - NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) requirements for information on subject content requirements for your undergraduate degree.

What will I study in the Master of Teaching?

The Master of Teaching will give you the fundamental teaching skills, but will also focus on making you a positive, capable, caring professional.

You will study:

  • the psychology of children,
  • how to create and manage a positive classroom,
  • how to teach students with special needs,
  • how to have a positive impact on indigenous children and communities,
  • how to communicate well with children, parents and other teachers,
  • how to deal with behavioural issues and prevent bullying,
  • the importance of education to students, families and the community and
  • how to use modern technology in classrooms.

I don’t think my grades are high enough to get in to the Master of Teaching! What do I do?

We are looking for people with a solid overall average, and high credits in individual subjects, particularly in your final year of study. You will be required to submit a personal statement via UAC with your application so you can provide details on why you would like to be a teacher.

I am a mature age person/looking for a career change/haven’t studied in a while. Can I still apply for the Master of Teaching?

Yes, people who bring knowledge and experience from previous occupations often make good teachers. As long as you have completed a bachelor degree in a relevant area, you can apply for the program.

Where can I find more information about teaching in NSW?

Contact Us

Faculty of Social Science Student Services Centre
Phone: (02) 4221 3981

School of Education Teaching and Learning Team

Academic Program Director, Master of Teaching (Primary)
Dr Steven Capaldo

Academic Program Director, Master of Teaching (Secondary)
Amy Tsiorvas

Last reviewed: 8 December, 2017