Professor Lesley Cooper
POSITION: Professor of Social Work, Course Coordinator, Bachelor of Social Work
PHONE: +61 2 4221 4935
BSW, PhD (University of Queensland)
I received my PhD from the University of Queensland in 1987. Prior to this, I spent several years as a practitioner in a variety of positions with experience in counselling, community work, social planning and administration. Since then I have been involved in social work education at Flinders University and Wilfrid Laurier University in Ontario.
TEACHING AND COORDINATING
- Coordination of the BSW
- Working with Service Users and Carers
- Health, Aging and Disability
- Disaster management in social work
- Social and community recovery
- Global health
- Social work education and work integrated learning
- Cooper, L. Orrell, J. and Bowden, M. (2010) Work Integrated Learning: A Guide to Effective Practice, Routledge, London.
- Cooper, L. ‘Promoting the capabilities of Aboriginal people in Australia in diabetes self care and management’ in Ayra, N. & Piggott, T. (eds). Pursuing Health, Athabasca University Press, Edmonton (in press)
- Cooper, L., Arya, N., Negoita, M., & Pham, N., ‘Educating health professionals to care for vulnerable and marginal populations’ in Ayra, N. & Piggott, T. (eds). Pursuing Health, Athabasca University Press, Edmonton. (in press)
- Ayra, N., Pham, N., Negoita, M., & Cooper, L. ‘Literature review on teaching medical and other trainees about underserved population’ in Ayra, N. & Piggott, T. (eds). Pursuing Health, Athabasca University Press, Edmonton. (in press).
- Grace, S. & Cooper, L. (2015) ‘Challenging Practice Discourse Dichotomies: A view from Alternative and Orthodox Practices’ in Higgs, J. and Frede, F. (eds) Professional Practice Marginalia, Sense Publishers, Rottendam, Netherlands. (in press)
- Cooper, L. & Orrell, J. (2015) ‘University and Community Engagement: Toward a Partnership based on Deliberate Reciprocity’ in Trede, F. and McEwen, C. (eds) Educating the deliberate professional: Preparing practitioners for Emergent Futures. Springer, New York. (in press)
- Cooper. L. (2011) ‘Cooperative Education in Social Work’ in Coll, R.C. and Zegwaard, K. E. International Handbook for Cooperative and Work-Integrated Education: International Perspectives of Theory, Research and Practice, WACE, Lowell, MA ( 2nd Edition )
Monographs and Research Reports
- Cantalini-Williams, M., Cooper, L., Grierson, A., Maynes, N., Rich, S., Tessaro, M.L., Brewer, C.A. Tedesco, S. & Wideman-Johnston, T. (2014) Innovative Practicum Models in Teacher Education: The Benefits, Challenges and Implementation Implications of Peer Mentorship, Service Learning and International Practicum Experiences, Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario, Toronto
- Refereed journal articles and papers
- Cooper, L. and Briggs, L. The Great Shakes: simulations, disasters and facilitation, under review for Social Work Education.
- Cooper, L. and Briggs, L. (2014) Educating social workers for disaster management responsibilities, Australia Journal of Emergency Management, for publication in October 2014.