POSITION: Professor of Human Geography
PHONE: +61 2 4221 3684
Head, School of Geography and Sustainable Communities, University of Wollongong
Inequality is the connecting thread of Gordon Waitt’s research. My current work develops this interest in inequality through three strands. Each strand addresses urgent sustainability challenges:
- Household Sustainability: This work explores the question: Who is doing the work of household sustainability? I explore this question through investigating who is involved in various everyday practices including driving, preparing meals, preserving food and making decisions about what is and is not rubbish. Everyday mundane practices are repositioned as key in household sustainability debates.
- Fuel Poverty: Key to this work is the question: What can we learn from older low income household to address fuel poverty? Rather than positioning people as a problem that has to be fixed through energy efficiency policies, this project starts with the assumption that people are part of the solution to fuel poverty. Hence, the aim of this work is to better understand how energy is used to make places called home. Equipped with this knowledge, policy makers can more informed energy policies.
- Urban Revitalisation: The starting point for this research is the question: How can we make regional city centre more lively places? This project sits with wider concerns that not everybody has equal access to city centres. Attention turns to how different process of discrimination and marginalisation operate through impressions, transport modes and routes or pathways.
- Gibson, C., Farbotko, C., Gill, N., Head, L. & Waitt, G. (2013) Household sustainability: challenges and dilemmas in everyday life, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar
- Metesula, C. & Waitt, G. (2012) Tourism and Australian Beach Cultures; Revealing Bodies, Bristol: Channel View Publications
- Waitt, G. & Markwell, K. (2006) Gay Tourism: Culture and Context, New York: Haworth Press
- Eriksen, C. & Waitt, G. (2016), Men, masculinities and wildfire: embodied resistance and rupture, in E Enarson and B, Pease (eds) Men, Masculinities and Disasters, London: Routledge
- Waitt, G. (2016) “Natural”, Intimate & Sensory Landscapes Spaces, in D. Andrews, M. Silk and H. Thorpe (eds) The Routledge Handbook of Physical Cultural Studies, London: Routledge
- Bowles, K. Nicols, D. and Waitt, G. (2016) Community halls in Australian country town life, in Driscoll, C, Nicols, D. and K. Darian-Smih (eds) The Australian Country Town, Ashgate
- Johnston, L. and Waitt, G. (2015) The spatial politics of gay pride parades and festivals: Emotional activism, in Paternotte, D. and Tremblay, M. (eds) The Ashgate Research Companion to Lesbian and Gay Activism, London: Ashgate, pp. 105-120.
- Waitt, G. & Gibson, C. (2014) Tourism and creative economies, in A. Lew, M. Hall and A. Williams (eds) The Wiley Blackwell Companion to Tourism, London: Wiley-Blackwell
- Waitt, G. & Markwell, K. (2014) ‘I don’t want to think I am a prostitute’: Embodied geographies of men, masculinities and clubbing in Seminyak, Bali, Indonesia, in T. Thurnell-Read & M. Casey (eds) Men, Masculinities, Travel and Tourism, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan (accepted 09/09/2013)
- Waitt, G, Figueroa, R.M. & Nagle, T. (2014), Paying for Proximity: Touching the Moral Economy of Ecological Voluntourism, in M Mostafanezhad & K Hannam (eds) Moral Encounters in Tourism, London: Ashgate, pp 167-184
- Waitt, G. and Macquarie, P. (2014) Travel-as-homemaking, in G. Lean, R. Staff & E. Waterton (eds) Travel and Imagination, London: Ashgate , pp. 53-74.
- Waitt, G. (2014) Sea-change: gender, sexualities, mobility and home, in G. Bonifacio (ed.) Gender and Rural Migration: Realities, Conflict and Change, New York: Routledge, pp.211- 227.
- Markwell, K. and Waitt, G. (2013) Events and sexualities. In Research Themes for Events (Eds) R. Finkel, D. McGillivrary and G. McPherson, CABI Publishing: Wallingford
- Gibson, C. & Waitt, G. (2012) Urban cultural policy, city size and proximity, in D. Silver & C. Grodach (eds) The Politics of Urban Cultural Policy, New York: Routledge, pp.122-137.
- Waitt G. & Johnston L (2012) ‘It doesn’t even feel like it’s being processed by your head’: Lesbian Affective Home Journeys To and Within Townsville, Queensland, Australia, in A. Gorman-Murray, B. Pini, & L. Bryant (eds) Sexuality, Rurality, and Geography, London: Ashgate, pp. 143-158.
- Waitt G. (2012) Queer perspectives on tourism geographies, in J. Wilson (ed.) The Routledge Handbook of Geographies, New Perspectives on Space, Place and Tourism, New York: Routledge, pp. 97-112
- Waitt G. (2011) Locating a Buddhist Temple in Wollongong, New South Wales, in C. Rocha & M. Barker (eds) Buddhism in Australia: Traditions in change, London and New York: Routledge, pp. 74-83
- Gibson, C., Waitt, G., Connell, J. & Walmsley, J. (2010) The extent and significance of rural festivals, in C. Gibson, and J. Connell (eds) Festival Places: Revitalising Rural Australia, Channel View Publications: Bristol, pp. 3-24
- Waitt, G. & Gorman Murray, A. (2010) ChillOut: a festival ‘out’ in the country, in C. Gibson, J. Connell, & K. Darian-Smith (eds) Festival Places: Revitalising Rural Australia, Channel View Publications: Bristol, pp. 209-228
- Duffy, M. and Waitt, G. (2010) Rural festivals and processes of belonging, in in C. Gibson, J. Connell, & K. Darian-Smith (eds) Festival Places: Revitalising Rural Australia, Channel View Publications: Bristol, pp. 44-60
- Gibson, C., Waitt, G., Head, L. & Gill, N. (2010) Is it easy being green? On the dilemmas of material cultures of household sustainability, in R. Lane & A. Gorman-Murray (eds) Material Geographies of Household Sustainability, London: Ashgate, pp. 19-33
- Figueroa, R. & Waitt, G. (2010) The Moral Terrains of Ecotourism and the Ethics of Consumption, in T. Lewis & E. Potter (eds) Ethical Consuming: A critical introduction, London: Routledge, pp. 260-274
- Gorman-Murray, A., Johnston, L. & Waitt, G. (2010) Queer(ing) communication in research relationships: a conversation about subjectivities, methodologies and ethics, in K. Browne and C. Nash (eds) Queer Methods and Methodologies: Intersecting Queer Theories and Social Science Research, London, Ashgate, pp. 97-112
- Waitt, G. (2010) Doing Foucauldian Discourse Analysis, Revealing Social Realities, in I. Hay (ed.) Qualitative Methods in Human Geography, third edition, Melbourne: Oxford University Press, pp. 163-161
- Waitt, G. & Figueroa, R. (2008) Touring the Moral Terrains of Uluru: Pathways of Pride and Shame, in J. Malpas & F. Vanclay (eds) Making Sense of Place: Exploring the concepts and expression of place through different senses and lenses, Canberra: National Museum, pp. 289-291
- Waitt, G. (2007) Heterosexy waves. Surfing, sexuality and gender, in I. Welland (ed.) Rethinking Gender and Youth Sports, London: Routledge, pp. 97-126.
- Waitt, G. (2006) Creative small cities: cityscapes, power and the arts, in D. Bell & M. Jayne (eds) Small Cities: Urban Experience Beyond the Metropolis, London: Routledge, pp. 169-184
- Waitt, G. (2006) De-centring metropolitan youth identities: boundaries, difference and sense of place, in D. Bell & M. Jayne (eds) Small cities: Urban Experience Beyond the Metropolis, London: Routledge, pp. 217-232
- Waitt, G. & Cook, L. (2005) Bodies and Ecotourism Studies: A case study from Thailand, in A. Chandra & D. Nigam (eds) Tourism, Environment and Ecology, New Delhi: Shree Publishers and Distributors
- Waitt, G. (2005) Doing Discourse Analysis, in I. Hay (ed.) Qualitative Methods in Human Geography, second edition, Melbourne: Oxford University Press, pp. 163-161
- Waitt, G. (2005) The ‘Green’ Games Sydney Played, in J. Nauright, K. Schimmel, (eds) The Political Economy of Sport, London: Palgrave Macmillan (International Political Economy Series) pp.183-207.
- Waitt, G. (2004) Pyrmont-Ultimo; Sydney’s urban chic quarter, in D. Bell & M. Jayne (eds) City of Quarters: Urban Villages in the Contemporary City, Aldershot: Ashgate, pp.15-36
- Waitt, G. (2004) Critical Examination of Sydney’s 2000 Olympic Games, in I. Yeoman, M. Robertson, J. Ali-Knight, S. Drummond & U. McMahon-Beattie (eds) Festival and Event Management: An International Arts and Culture Perspective, Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann, pp.391-408
- Waitt, G. (2017), Energy, households, gender and science: a feminist retrofit framework for transdisciplinary research. Area. doi:10.1111/area.12363
- Waitt, G & Welland, L. (2017) Water, skin and touch: migrant bathing assemblages, Social and Cultural Geography
- Duffy, M. Waitt, G. & Harada, T. (2016) Making sense of sound: Visceral sonic mapping as a research tool, Emotion, Society and Space (in press, accepted 22.6.2016)
- Eriksen, C. Waitt, G. & Wilkinson C. (2016) Gendered dynamics of wildland firefighting in Australia, Society & Natural Resources, 11, 1296-1310
- Waitt, G. & Harada, T. (2016) Parenting, care and the family car, Social & Cultural Geography (in press, accepted 21.12.2015)
- Frazer, R. & Watt G. (2016) Pain, politics and volunteering in tourism studies, Annals of Tourism Research, 57, 176-189
- Waitt, G. Roggeveen, K., Gordon, R., Butler, K. and Cooper, P. (2016) The tyrannies of thrift, Energy Policy, 90, 37-45.
- Butler, K, Gordon, R. Roggeveen, K, Waitt, G and Cooper, P. (2016) Social marketing and value in behaviour? Perceived value of using energy efficiently among low income older citizens, Journal of Social Marketing (in press, accepted, 4.1.2016)
Waitt, G. & Clement, S. (2016) Women drinking alcohol: assembling a perspective from a Victorian country town, Australia Gender, Place & Culture (in press, accepted 1. 6. 2015)
- Head, L., Gibson, C., Gill, N., Carr, C. and Waitt, G. (2016) A meta-ethnography to synthesise household cultural research for climate change policy. Local Environment (in press, accepted 30. 12. 2015)
Waitt, G, Harada, T & Duffy, M. (2015) ‘Let’s have some music’: Sound, gender and car mobility, Mobilities (in press, accepted 16. 7.2015)
- Waitt, G. & Phillips, C (2015) Food waste and domestic refrigeration: a visceral and material approach, Social & Cultural Geography (in press, accepted 10. 10. 2015)
- Hitchings, R., Waitt G., Roggeveen, K., Chisholm, C. (2015) Winter cold in a summer place. Perceived norms of seasonal adaption and cultures of home heating in Australia, Energy Research and Social Sciences, 8, 162-172
- Gill, N., Osman, P. Head, L. Waitt, G and Gibson, C (2015) Looking beyond installation: Why households struggle to make the most of solar hot water systems, Energy Policy, 87, 83-94.
- Waitt, G. (2015) I do? On geography, marriage and love in Australia, Australian Geographer, 46(4), 429-436
- Waitt, G & Clifton, D (2015) Winning and losing: the dynamics of pride and shame in the narratives of men who play competitive country football, Leisure Studies 34(3) 259-281.
- Waitt, G. & Stanes, E. (2015) Sweating bodies: Men, masculinities, affect, emotion, Geoforum, 59, 30-38
- Wilkinson C., Waitt, G. and Gibbs, L. (2014) Understanding place as ‘home’ and ‘away’ through practices of bird-watching. Australian Geographer 45(2), 205-220
- Waitt, G. & de Jong, A. (2014) Embodied geographies of alcohol and the weekend in the Bega Valley, New South Wales, Leisure Studies 33(2) 116-132
- Waitt, G. (2014) Embodied geographies of kangaroo meat, Social & Cultural Geography 15 (4), 406-426
- Waitt, G. & Appleby, B. (2014) “It smells disgusting”: plating-up kangaroo for a changing climate, Continuum: Journal of Media & Cultural Studies 28 (4) 88-100
- Waitt, G., Ryan, E. and Farbotko, C. (2013) A Visceral Politics of Sound, Antipode, DOI: 10.1111/anti.12032
- Waitt, G. (2013) Bodies that sweat: the affective responses of young women in Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia, Gender, Place and Culture \DOI: 10.1080/0966369X.2013.802668.
- Duffy, M. &Waitt G. (2013) Home sounds; experiential practices and performativities of hearing and listening. Social and Cultural Geography, 14 (4) 466-481
- Waitt, G. & Gibson, C. (2013) The Spiral Gallery: non-market creativity and belonging in an Australian country town, Journal of Rural Studies, 30, 75-85
- Harada T. & Waitt, G. (2013) Research transport choices: the possibilities of ‘mobile methods’, Geographical Research, 51 (2) 145-152
- Waitt, G. & Clifton, D. (2013) “Stand out, not-up”: body-boarders, gendered hierarchies and negotiating the dynamics of pride/shame, Leisure Studies DOI: 10.1080/02614367.2012.684397
- Organo, V., Head, L. & Waitt, G. (2013) Who does the work in sustainable households? A time and gender analysis in New South Wales, Australia, Gender, Place and Culture 20 (5) 559-577
- Jayne, M., Gibson, C., Waitt, G. & Valentine, G. (2012) Drunken Mobilities: backpackers, alcohol, ‘doing place’, Tourist Studies 12 (3) 211-231
- De Vet, E., Waitt, G., & Gorman-Murray, A. (2012) ‘How dare you say that about my friend’: negotiating disability and identity within Australian high schools, Australian Geographer 43 (4) 377-391
- Waitt, G. & Ryan, F. (2012) “The vibe” and “the glide”: surfing through the voices of longboarders Journal of Australian Studies 36 (3) 327-343
- Waitt, G., Caputi, P., Gibson, C., Farbotko, C., Head, L., Gill, N. & Stanes, E. (2012) Sustainable Household Capability: Which households are doing the work of environmental sustainability? Australian Geographer 37, 45-55
- Waitt, G. & Harada, T. (2012) Driving, cities and changing climates, Urban Studies 47 (15) 3307-3325
- Gorman-Murray, A., Waitt, G. and Gibson, C. (2012) Chilling out in ‘cosmopolitan country’? Interrogating the construction of Daylesford, Victoria, as a ‘lesbian and gay rural idyll’, Journal of Rural Studies 28 (1) 69-79
- Waitt G., Farbotko C., and Criddle, B. (2012) Scalar politics of climate change: regions emissions and responsibility Media International 143, 36-46
- Farbotko, C. & Waitt, G. (2011) Residential air-conditioning and climate change: voices of the vulnerable, Health Promotion Journal of Australia 22 (Special Edition) 13-16
- Waitt, G. & Stapel, C. (2011) Fornicating on Floats: The Sydney Mardi Gras Parade Beyond the Metropolis. Leisure Studies 30 (20) 197-216
- Waitt, G. & Gorman-Murray, A. (2011) ‘It’s about time you came out.’ Sexualities, mobility and home, Antipode 43 (4) 1380-1403
- Duffy, M. & Waitt, G. (2011) Sound Diaries: a Method for Listening to Place, Aether: The Journal of Media Geography (Special issue on Geographies of Music, Geographers who Play Music) 7, 119-135
- Waitt, G., Jessop, L. & Gorman-Murray, A, (2011) “The guys in there just expect to be laid”: embodied and gendered socio-spatial practices of a ‘night-out’, Gender, Place and Culture 18 (2) 255-275
- Duffy, M., Waitt, G., Gorman-Murray, A. & Gibson, C. (2011) Bodily rhythms: corporeal capacities to engage with festival spaces, Emotion, Society and Space 4 (1) 17-24
- Gibson, C., Head, L., Gill, N., Waitt, G. (2011) Climate change and household dynamics: beyond consumption, unbounding sustainability, Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers NS 36 (1) 3-8
- Waitt, G. & Gorman-Murray, A. (2011) Journeys and Returns: home, life narratives and remapping sexuality, International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 35 (6) 1239-1255
- Figueroa, R. & Waitt, G. (2010) Climb, Environmental Philosophy 7 (2) 86-109
- Jayne, M., Gibson, C., Waitt, G. & Bell, D. (2010) The Cultural Economy of Small Cities, Geography Compass 4 (9) 1408-1417
- Waitt, G. & Duffy, M. (2010) Listening and Tourism Studies, Annals of Tourism Research 37 (2) 457-477
- Gibson, C., Waitt, G., Walmsley, J. & Connell, J. (2010) Cultural festivals and economic development in non-metropolitan Australia, Journal of Planning Education and Research 29, 280-293
- Gorman-Murray, A., Brennan-Horley, C., McKlean, K., Waitt, G. & Gibson, C. (2010) Mapping same-sex couple family households in Australia, Journal of Maps 2009, 186-196.
- Gill, N., Waitt, G. & Head, L. (2009) Local engagements with urban bushland: moving beyond bounded practice for urban biodiversity management, Landscape & Urban Planning 93, 184-193
- Waitt, G. & Gibson, C. (2009) Creative Small Cities: rethinking the creative economy in place, Urban Studies 46 (5-6) 1223-1246
- Waitt, G., Gill, N. & Head, L. (2009) Bushland Walking: performing and managing nature in suburban Australia, Social and Cultural Geography 10 (1) 41-60
- Gorman-Murray, A. & Waitt, G. (2009) Queer-friendly neighbourhoods: interrogating social cohesion across sexual difference in two Australian neighbourhoods, Environment and Planning A 41 (12) 2855 – 2873
- Markwell, K. & Waitt, G. (2009) Festivals, space and sexuality: gay pride festivals in Australia, Tourism Geographies 11 (2) 143-168
- Figueroa, R. & Waitt, G. (2008) Cracks in the mirror: (Un)covering the moral terrains of environmental justice at Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Ethics, Place & Environment: A Journal of Philosophy & Geography 11 (3) 327-349
- Waitt, G., Markwell, K. & Gorman-Murray, A. (2008) Challenging heteronormativity in tourism studies: locating progress, Progress in Human Geography 32 (6) 781-800
- Waitt, G. & Gorman-Murray, A, (2008) Camp in the country: renegotiating sexuality and gender through a rural lesbian and gay festival, Journal of Tourism and Cultural Change 6 (3) 185-207
- Waitt, G (2008) Urban festivals: spaces of hype, helplessness and hope, Geography Compass 2, 513-537
- Waitt, G. (2008) “Killing Waves.” Gender, space and surfing. Social and Cultural Geography 9 (1) 75-94
- Gorman-Murray, A., Waitt, G. & Gibson, C. (2008) A queer country? A case study of the politics of gay/lesbian belonging in an Australian country town, Australian Geographer 39 (2) 171-191
- Waitt, G. & Warren, A. (2008) “Talking shit over a brew after a good session with your mates”: Surfing, space and masculinity, Australian Geographer 39 (3) 353-365
- Waitt, G. & Gorman-Murray, A. (2007) Homemaking and mature age gay men ‘Down-Under’: paradox, intimacy, subjectivities, spatialities and scale, Gender, Place and Culture: A Journal of Feminist Geography, 14 (5) 551-569
- Waitt, G., Figueroa, R. & McGee, L. (2007) Cracks in the Rock: Rethinking pride and shame in the moral terrains of Uluru, Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 32 (2) 248-263
- Lane, R. and Waitt, G. (2007) Inalienable places: self-drive tourists in North West Australia, Annals of Tourism Research, 34 (1) 105-121
- Waitt, G. & Cook, L. (2007) Leaving nothing but ripples on the water, Social and Cultural Geography 8 (4) 535-550
- Waitt G. & Lane, R. (2007) Four-wheel drivescapes: embodied understandings of the Kimberley, Journal of Rural Studies, 23 (2) 156-169
- Duffy M., Waitt, G. & Gibson, C. (2007) Get into the groove: the role of sound in generating a sense of belonging at street parades, Altitude, 8 [http://www.altitude21c.com/]
- Waitt, G. (2006) Boundaries of desire: becoming sexual through the spaces of the Sydney 2002 Gay Games, Annals of the Association of American Geographers 96 (4) 773-787
- Barnes, K., Waitt, G., Gill, N. & Gibson, C. (2006) Community and nostalgia in urban revitalisation: a critique of urban village and creative class strategies as remedies for social ‘problems’, Australian Geographer 37 (3) 335-354
- Waitt, G. (2005) Sydney 2002 Gay Games and Querying Australian National Space, Environment and Planning D Society and Space 23, 435-452
- Waitt, G. (2005) Geographies of the Latvian Closet, Social and Cultural Geography 6 (2) 161-181
- Waitt, G. & Hartig, K. (2005) All at sea. Rethinking Fishers’ Identities, Gender, Place and Culture 12 (4) 403-418
- Waitt, G. (2004) Gay Games, Queer Space? Inter-Cultural Studies Journal 14 (1) Online: http://www.newcastle.edu.au/journal/ics/pubs/ICS_Vol4_No1_2004.pdf
Research Student Supervision
I am interested in supervising research students working on the following topics:
- Volunteer tourism
- Sport, gender and sexuality
- Household sustainability and ethnic diversity
- Active transport